1887

The Journal of Small Animal Practice (JSAP)

The Journal of Small Animal Practice (JSAP) is the BSAVA's monthly scientific journal, featuring original, peer-reviewed articles, case reports and other scientific and educational information from around the world. The aim of JSAP is to facilitate the dissemination and implementation of new ideas and techniques relating to clinical veterinary practice, and ultimately to promote best practice.

JSAP is provided to BSAVA members as part of their membership benefits. Members - to access JSAP, log in then click on the 'read latest issues' button that appears below. 

You can search for JSAP articles from within the BSAVA Library by clicking on the JSAP tab from the search results page. If you are a BSAVA member and already logged in, you can click through from the search results to access the full article. 

November issue - Editor's choice

Evaluating the prognostic value of hypocholesterolaemia

In the biochemistry panels that we use so often during daily routine or emergency practice, there are some alterations that have been historically given less scientific attention. Low cholesterol levels may be one of those. Hypocholesterolaemia in small animals has been associated with liver and gastrointestinal disease, hypoadrenocorticism, sepsis and neoplasia. However, just a handful of studies have evaluated the prognostic value of this analyte. In this month's JSAP, Dr Tan and colleagues from the University of California, Davis, have evaluated the prevalence of hypocholesterolaemia and its association with mortality in a large cohort of over 20,000 dogs and cats. Results show that hypocholesterolaemia is not common, affecting around 7% of dogs and 5% of cats that had cholesterol measured, and that hypocholesterolaemia was associated with mortality, especially when more severe. The overall mortality rate of dogs and cats with hypocholesterolaemia was around 12%. Clinicians should be aware of this association, in order to enhance intensity of diagnostic effort and therapy for affected animals.

Access the full article

October issue - Editor's choice

Point-of-care electrolyte analysers – how accurate are they?

Point-of-care electrolyte analysers are powerful tools that can provide a terrific benefit to the care of our patients, providing that we understand their limitations. We obtain a blood sample, we insert the sample in the analyser, and ‘puff’, in a matter of seconds the machine does the magic providing the electrolyte concentrations; however, these values and reference ranges may not be interchangeable. How much we can compare these values in dogs with hypoadrenocorticism, is exactly what Dr Fowlie and colleagues, from the Small Animal Hospital of the University of Glasgow, have evaluated. It turned out that, more often than not, electrolyte values obtained from the point-of-care analysers were different compared to electrolyte values obtained from a reference laboratory method. Many of these differences have the potential to have a relevant clinical impact, such as the poor sensitivity observed to hypokalemia. This is important to keep in mind whenever checking, or rechecking, the electrolytes of your patients with hypoadrenocorticism.

Access the full article

You must be logged in and a BSAVA member (excluding veterinary nurse student member) to use the links

If you are not a member of BSAVA and wish to receive JSAP, you can either become a member or subscribe to the journal via our publisher, Wiley.

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error